Newell Presbyterian Church is an active congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), a member of the Charlotte Presbytery, and a part of the Synod of the Mid-Atlantic.
It was organized in 1889 with 31 charter members. The church developed when an earnest group of Presbyterian families of the Newell community felt inspired by God to meet for Sunday school in the dining room of the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Newell.
As plans were underway to build a church sanctuary, “Squire” John A. Newell gave a tract of land for the church grounds and cemetery. The first of 3 church buildings was completed in 1892. In December of that year, the Rev. W.C.C. Foster preached the first sermon in the new church building. In 1893, the Rev. Scott W. Newell accepted a call as the first installed pastor to the church.
Significant change has come to the church, and also to the community in which it is located. Today, the church utilizes three buildings on ten acres of land. The largest structure on our property holds the current sanctuary and office, which was dedicated in September of 1979. The church cemetery is at the rear of the property with graves dating to the 1880’s.
With UNC Charlotte on its doorsteps and numerous neighborhoods, companies and businesses expanding into this area, the mission for Newell Presbyterian Church is as great, if not greater, today than it was for those early families as we continue into our next 100 years of ministry.
The church continues to evolve its mission to the community with a devoted and caring congregation. The relationships that formed the foundation of Newell Presbyterian as a devoted and caring congregation well over 100 years ago continue to make us who we are today. We strive to honor and learn from our deep history and traditions while being open to the ways that God continues to call us to be the church in the world today. We trust that God is still writing our story and we are excited to see what God will do next in and through Newell Presbyterian Church.